Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


Fifteen seconds into the movie preview for The Fault in Our Stars, my eyes were brimming with tears. I knew I needed to read the book before I watched the movie, or I would be a bawling, blubbering mess for two hours. Not too say I still won’t be. But I will at least be LESS of a bawling, blubbering mess.

Sixteen year old Hazel Grace was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 13. Her life has been extended somewhat by a tumor shrinking miracle drug, but she is still terminal. Hazel thought she knew how the remainder of her life would unfold until she meets Augustus Waters, a one legged survivor in the Cancer Kid Support Group.

“I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” - Hazel Grace


Despite the depressing subject, The Fault in Our Stars is positive, lighthearted and funny. You’ll cry. You’ll laugh. You’ll anger. Author John Green ensures you feel ALL the feels. You’ll contemplate death and consequently life and how to live it. How to love it. How to make the most of your short time here on Earth. What’s more feel-y than that? We’re all born with an expiration date. The Fault in Our Stars will inspire you (at least for a little while) to face fear of rejection, of being hurt, and to love unabashedly.  


"I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.” - Augustus Waters

In addition to The Fault in Our Stars, we also have This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl. John Green writes the foreword and even dedicated The Fault in our Stars to Esther. You will find both of these works in our collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may not appear right away.